I came across this recipe for Pumpkin French Toast Sticks during one of MoneySavingMom’s Freezer Cooking Day link ups. I had to try it and they were good. (I’m making them for this Freezer Cooking Day too).
I experimented today and I really like my version better. I prefer to cook them on an electric skillet instead of baking them in the oven also.
- If you’re using an electric skillet (or oven) go ahead and preheat to 350 degrees. Spray your skillet or pan with a little cooking spray.
Sorry, that pic isn’t better. And I’ll add, I’m not much for measuring other than eyeballing it. Thats the freedom in experimenting 😉
I mixed about
- 8 oz of canned pumpkin (about half of a 15 oz can)
- 6 eggs
- about a cup of milk
- generous shaking of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
- about 3/4 cup of sugar
- then add some molasses. For the molasses I just used the “smell” method (hehe). I added enough molasses till I thought it smelled perfect (did NOT take alot).
- Mix it all up.
I got about 15 pieces of bread cut in thirds (about 45 sticks) out of that mixture. I ran out of eggs, otherwise I could’ve made more or I could have diluted the mixture also. Dip your bread pieces in the mixture to coat and I left them in a bit longer (don’t over do it) to soak it up. This may be why mine turned out so moist 😉 .
They took a little while to cook, several minutes at least, just watch them. My main concern is to get the egg part cooked well enough so I may have overdone them a little bit but they turned out so moist and delicious that I ate some without any syrup. They were that good!
But of course, they were so much better with some syrup to dip into!
Latest posts by Tracy Zdelar (see all)
- My Top 7 Restaurant Picks in Canton Ohio: The Local Dish - February 21, 2018
- It’s that time again: My 1 Minute Anonymous Reader Survey. - February 18, 2018
- 101 Reasons to Love Summer in Ohio - February 12, 2018