I came across this recipe for Pumpkin French Toast Sticks during one of MoneySavingMom’s Freezer Cooking Day link ups. I had to try it and they were good. (I’m making them for this Freezer Cooking Day too).
I experimented today and I really like my version better. I prefer to cook them on an electric skillet instead of baking them in the oven also.
- If you’re using an electric skillet (or oven) go ahead and preheat to 350 degrees. Spray your skillet or pan with a little cooking spray.
Sorry, that pic isn’t better. And I’ll add, I’m not much for measuring other than eyeballing it. Thats the freedom in experimenting 😉
I mixed about
- 8 oz of canned pumpkin (about half of a 15 oz can)
- 6 eggs
- about a cup of milk
- generous shaking of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
- about 3/4 cup of sugar
- then add some molasses. For the molasses I just used the “smell” method (hehe). I added enough molasses till I thought it smelled perfect (did NOT take alot).
- Mix it all up.
I got about 15 pieces of bread cut in thirds (about 45 sticks) out of that mixture. I ran out of eggs, otherwise I could’ve made more or I could have diluted the mixture also. Dip your bread pieces in the mixture to coat and I left them in a bit longer (don’t over do it) to soak it up. This may be why mine turned out so moist 😉 .
They took a little while to cook, several minutes at least, just watch them. My main concern is to get the egg part cooked well enough so I may have overdone them a little bit but they turned out so moist and delicious that I ate some without any syrup. They were that good!
But of course, they were so much better with some syrup to dip into!
Simple mini donuts made with these tips can make a fun breakfast treat too.
Latest posts by Tracy Zdelar (see all)
- My homeschooled son is choosing public school this year. - July 24, 2021
- Where to find me. - June 19, 2021
- How could some Online Articles Appear to be Prophetic? - January 7, 2021