Yeah, Betta fish.
You might want to pick one up for your kid for Christmas, a birthday, or just for a pet. You know, instead of a puppy. Our 6 yr old wanted a fish. I wanted him to have a fish too.
My affiliate links are included below. I may earn a few cents if purchases are made through the links. See my Disclosure policy here.
I thought he might learn some responsibility.
Why Betta Fish make good pets for kids.
Earlier this year I picked up a couple goldfish at Walmart and they didn’t last very long. We might have gotten a few days- maybe three days for the first fish; then, the other passed on to better seas not long thereafter.
Next attempt, the Betta. Some Betta fish are beautiful! I found a couple at a real pet store and got one for each of our boys. Of course Betta’s have to be separated or they’ll fight, so I’m told. I have seen the bully-like-stare that seems to happen when they meet fish to fish (their tanks are side by side).
BioBubble Wonder Bubble Tunnel Kit
I do keep them separated…but I’ll admit, the last time time I was cleaning out their fish tanks I wondered what a Betta Fish fight would look like. I was tempted to put them in the same dish to witness it firsthand. Don’t worry, I didn’t 😉
So, why do I think Betta Fish make good pets ? Well, I can tell you it isn’t because they automatically guarantee to teach “responsibility”. That’s the parent’s responsibility. There are books on how to care for Betta Fish available, too.
Here’s what I like about Betta fish.
- Betta fish are more interesting to look at. Some are kinda pretty-at least compared to goldfish.
- Bettas somehow manage to keep their tanks pretty clean, longer than the goldfish did. Way longer! This translates into less tank cleaning for mom.
- The fact that Betta fish are pretty hardy fish make them a good pet for kids, too. So far ours have lasted since Sept 30th in a tap water tank (no filter). And, I don’t boil the water first. I try to do a somewhat lukewarm/cool tap water. (But you might want this for an office desk set up.)
- Our Betta fish have personality. I don’t know if they all do or if we just got *ahem, lucky? They seem to look at us when its time to feed them. Its our cue to question: who fed the fish last and when? Kinda weird maybe, but its entertaining. Makes them a bit more part of the family I think.
And, that about sums it up.
Oh wait, one more! They’re cheap and easy to care for- however, you may want to spend more on a really nice looking tank or one with a filter.
Latest posts by Tracy Zdelar (see all)
- How will my garden grow in 2023? - January 26, 2023
- My Word for 2023 - January 11, 2023
- Holiday Sale on ALL my books – $4.99 - December 18, 2022
Betta fish are really smart and aggressive.
just gonna leave this hear bettas need a filter a 5 gallon minimum tank and dechlorinated water, anything less is abuse
Good idea, thanks Samantha!
They’re very cute pets that kids love, but I absolutely recommend getting at least a 5 gallon Tank with a the filter, heater, and water conditioner being non-negotiable necessities. I’d also go for only silk plants if not live plants since it’s so easy for them to tear their fins.
A good fish, though I would recommend not getting ANY of the tanks in above text, they are much to small – the minimum size for a betta tank is 5 gallons, please research the nitrogen and proper betta care before buying.
Beta fish are cool
I really want a beta fish