I took my boys to the county fair back in August and splurged on an Elephant Ear.
I paid around $2 or $3 for just one of these tortilla shaped cinnamon-sugared yummies!
I decided I could probably make these cheaper at home and I was right! I can make 8 or 10 for $.99 (price of tortillas at Aldi, I’m not adding in any cost for the oil, cinnamon and sugar which I keep on hand as staples).
Now I make them for a treat at home and my 7 yr old can eat 3 at a time if he wants 😉
These are so easy and I use coconut oil (not virgin) to make it healthier, at least I think its healthier. As you may or may not know, Coconut Oil solidifies when the temps are cooler and it melts into oil when the temps are warmer.
- Use your oil of choice. I just scrape out as much coconut oil as I want and put it in a frying pan, heat it (till its hot enough to sizzle and crack when you sprinkle a few drops of water in it) then put your flour tortilla in the pan. You have to watch so they don’t burn. These do not take long. Flip them once.
- Remove tortilla from oil and place on a paper towel to soak up excess oil
- Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar on both sides
Watch that its not too hot for your child to bite into and enjoy!
*Do you like what you read here? You can get my updated blog posts delivered to you by subscribing here. Just choose your delivery method: email or RSS reader. And, its free!
*Sharing at: Strut your Stuff Saturday,
Latest posts by Tracy Zdelar (see all)
- How will my garden grow in 2023? - January 26, 2023
- My Word for 2023 - January 11, 2023
- Holiday Sale on ALL my books – $4.99 - December 18, 2022
Also good drizzled with honey and a dollop of whipped cream. We make these by cutting them into triangles and then frying and tossing in the cinnamon sugar mix (heavy on the cinnamon) then dipping in honey or having them with vanilla ice cream. They are my shortcut version of Bunellos 🙂