(My affiliate links are included in this post and I may earn a few cents if purchases are made through it. See my Disclosure policy here.)
The other day I taught my boys the layers of the Earth by having them make these edible Earth layers. I got the idea from watching another YouTuber’s video (video not available) of her kids making them.
I had my husband video me and the boys making ours. This is really a tasty project too. 🙂 Below the video you’ll find a couple links to use while teaching on the subject of the Earth’s layers as well as the directions for the edible Earth.
How to make the edible Earth layers:
- Make a pan of Rice Krispy Treats (they come Gluten Free too) or buy the already made. I made my own with a few marshmallows and a little butter in the microwave, add the Rice Krispy’s. <—- this will be your Mantle.
- Regular sized marshmallows <—- will be your Outer Core.
- Raisins, M&M’s or something else small <—- will be your Inner Core.
- Smucker’s Magic Shell Topping <—- will be your Earth’s Crust.
After you coat your edible Earth layers in the Magic Shell sauce stick it in the freezer (put a piece of wax paper under it) for maybe 10 minutes till the shell/crust hardens. Then slice your edible Earth in half and look at the layers. Eat and Enjoy!
Online teaching aids:
Latest posts by Tracy Zdelar (see all)
- Homeschooling & Spending time on My Backyard Dig - October 21, 2020
- 7 Ways to Ruin a Pity Party – or bad attitude - August 29, 2020
- What we’re using to Homeschool 9th & 11th Grade + FREE PRINTABLE - August 1, 2020